Through the Eyes of Books

Inspired thoughts from my passion for reading

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a ten-year veteran of the freelance writing world whose success has hinged on not sitting back and allowing myself to be taken advantage of. Occasionally that mentality makes life messy, but messy is better than complacency. My mantra: If you stand up for something under the guise of anonymity, you're really not standing up for anything at all.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth



"Unexpectedly, and in the midst of his anxieties, he found himself visited by compassion for this self-willed son of his, for whom life had always been a succession of self-imposed tests and ordeals."

I'm a perfectionist...always have been, always will be. Although my parents always encouraged me to do my best, only the VERY best would do for me. This self-imposed pressure goes all the way back to my single digits. Vivid case in point: In the third grade, I got an F on a workbook exercise (not a quiz or test, keep in mind) because I didn't follow the directions correctly. I clearly recall being so upset about it that when I showed it to my mom that night, I was crying my eyes out, not because I thought she'd be mad about it (I knew she wouldn't--in that moment, she probably found herself visited by compassion for her self-willed daughter) but because I knew I'd stupidly performed at less than my very best. I had no one to blame for my failure but myself. Therein lay the real worm eating away at my wise-beyond-its-years soul.

This is the first of the self-imposed ordeals I put myself through that I can remember (although there were probably a few prior to it) but it certainly wasn't the last. To this day, I still beat myself up over even the slightest flaws I detect in myself...most usually these days in regard to my work output. This character trait of mine is both a blessing and a curse. Although it turned me into a stellar student and subsequent entrepreneur, my life was been wrought with anxieties over an inability to at all times attain the impossible: perfection. Were she still alive, I've no doubt my mother would still feel that same compassion for her daughter she felt all those years ago, when a bright red F brought her nine-year-old offspring to inconsolable tears. Unfortunately, the only glaring difference between then and now is that I no longer have her loving arms to take away the bitter sting. Perhaps after twenty-five years, it's time I finally worked on letting this affliction of mine go...for anxiety's sake, for her sake, but most of all for my sake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home